Monday, November 17, 2008

The Difference Between Social Work and Social Justice

I got this email from my friend Noodle today. She is one of my oldest friends, a brilliant writer, and a loving Mom. She is my fam in every sense of the word.

"I love reading your blog.

I was listening to Julian Bond a few weeks ago...he was speaking at St. Johns University....giving some award. Anyway, the speech was on MPR.
He was talking about the difference between Social Service and Social Justice work. He was saying that he was a bit disappointed in young people today because, even though they are getting out and doing social service, they are not doing social justice work. He was saying the social service work is fun and there is immediate, instant gratification...that's why young people are drawn to it. But social justice work is grueling and tedious and you never get a thank you and sometimes it takes a generation or more to see any change.
I thought of you. You are doing Social Justice work and it's all on the hard-to-do pile, but you do it and I'm saying Thank You for all the people whose lives you are helping to change who just don't even know how to say thanks!"


Thank you Noodle for 17 years of friendship, love, and support.

1 comment:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, and insights. And thank you for reading!