Saturday, July 14, 2012

Theater Review: Bebe Zahara Benet's Creature

So, I have seen Bebe Zahara Benet's Creature, I believe, four times now. There has only been once that I haven't seen the show during a run. Now, full disclosure, Bebe is one of my best friends. I have known her for five years, and I have been a fan since she was working a working class dyke bar on University Avenue (The Townhouse) in St. Paul, MN. I was in the bar the night she announced she was going to be on a new reality show called RuPaul's Drag Race.

Well, as y'all know she went on to win the first season of that show. That's my girl.

What has always impressed me about Kudi (that's Bebe's given name) is that Kudi is an artist. From the clothing he designs to his performances as Bebe....he constructs his work with the utmost integrity, commits himself to constant improvement, and lets us have it every time.

Last night Miss Bebe gave us a victoire!

Each time Creature is mounted it has been deepened and expanded. It's now a full on 360 degree experience. I thought the last version of the show, which I saw in the beginning of June was amazing (and after which I had an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction....I popped a squat on the dance floor and blew out the back of my shorts....no such mishaps last night though my mind was blown)!

Last night's Creature was OVAH! Not only were the dancers on point, the vocalists letting us have it, and Bebe in proper form....she added a new Egyptian element to the show including a cadre of fierce belly dancers that let us have it let us have it let us have IT!

Oops she did it again but even better than before.

Do yourself a favor....Creature will be playing every Friday for the next month at XL Nightclub in New York, which is located on 42nd Street between 10th and 11th avenues. GO AND SEE THIS SHOW!

I will be seeing it for the fifth time.

PS And do not fail to oooh and ahhh at Eddie Carrington and Roger Turner, Bebe's principle dancers. Those boys do some things in a loin cloth to make me want to get down right Serengeti up in there.

2 comments:

  1. #Giving. I'm always soo happy to look out into the crowd and see your beautiful face!! I can't wait to see it a fifth time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, and insights. And thank you for reading!