Monday, May 17, 2010

Queendom: Bebe Zahara Benet's One Woman Show

In early 2007, I started making regular Thursday night appearances at the Town House, a little bitty queer bar, beloved by lesbians, tucked between a used car dealer lot and a junk shop on University Avenue in St. Paul, MN. Thursday night was the weekly Pumps and Pearls Drag Revue. My first night at the revue I was dazzled when Monica West, the host of the show, introduced the French speaking, African Diva, straight (or gayly) from CAMEERROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON: Bebe Zahara Benet.

Over the next year and a half, I rarely missed a show. I burned through a boyfriend and at least 1,000 $1 bills celebrating the art, beauty, grace, and fierceness of Bebe Benet. I was there, at the Town House, in early 2008 when it was announced that Bebe had been selected to be a contestant on the new reality show on Logo: RuPaul's Drag Race. I about fell out of my chair in excitement.

In August 2008, I left Minneapolis, and I wasn't sure if I would ever see Bebe again. Of course I saw her again, on Logo. I watched every week and every week I texted Bebe sending her love and support. And then she won. Great googly moogly, she won. I had total faith in her, and I was so happy to see a queer black African immigrant win what instantly became drag's new highest honor.

Much to my delight and surprise, I ran into Bebe a couple of times in NYC. Last year, on my birthday, we had dinner. And then glory of glories last November she moved to New York. I now count Bebe amongst my best friends. We are family, and I would do anything to support her as a person, her career, and her artistry.

On Thursday, May 20th, you also have a chance to support this remarkable man-dressed-as-a-woman. If you are in New York, clear your calendar and join us for Bebe's show--Queendom: An Intimate Experience with African Royalty.

Here is the information:

Venue: Don't Tell Mama
Address: 343 W. 46th Street (between 8th and 9th Avenue)
Time: 8:30-10:30pm
Cost: $15 and two drink minimum


Queendom is not simply an utterly unique and entertaining performance. It is an interactive experience that transports its audience to the royalty of Africa. The theater becomes a majestic African palace and the audience members become its honorary guests. A story is told through a fusion of upbeat American music with harmonious African chanting and tribal elements resulting in a fresh and edgy musical experience that is beautiful to the ears and healing to the soul. Glamorous animal inspired high fashion original costumes and décor are a visual treat. And speaking of treats, royal guests never leave empty handed as special gifts that tickle the senses are given to everyone at every show. Each season brings a new Queendom performance making this an ever changing event worth visiting again and again. The star and creator, Miss Bebe Zahara Benet (Winner of RuPaul’s Drag Race, Season 1), is a Cameroon native and left no detail gone unnoticed. It is a production built on great knowledge, impeccable taste, and deep passion. It will leave you feeling good and sassy! Queendom is a must-see.

JOIN ME FOR THIS EVENT. I will be there. So should you be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, and insights. And thank you for reading!