Monday, August 16, 2010

One Liner of the Week Award: Server at My Moon in Williamsburg

Now and again, someone says something so racist and so off the cuff/out of the blue, that you can do nothing more than laugh. In fact, when the person is a clueless European waitress, it makes it even more hilarious.

Yesterday, I went to a send-off brunch for my dear friend Natasha. Tasha is one of those amazing and beautiful people that can't help but do good work in the world. She is off on August 31st, my birthday incidentally, to the Solomon Islands where she is working with the American Bar Association to draft anti-sex trafficking laws for the island nation.

To begin with, My Moon is beautiful. It is an old warehouse that has been turned into a restaurant/bar. It's easy to find it, as it is just a couple blocks from the L train. The atmosphere was nice, but the hamburger I had was probably the worst burger ever. The meat was juicy but flavorless, the bun toasted just enough to be dry without being crisp, and if that wasn't bad enough, there was the server.

I enjoy eating jalapenos on my hamburger. So when it came to be my turn to order, I said:

"Do you have jalapenos? Could I get some jalapenos on my burger?"

The server looks at me for a second and then she says, "We must have jalapenos, there are three Mexicans working in the back."

Half of our table looked up in disbelief. Allison looked at me and said, "Did she just say..."

And I just nodded and said, "Yup."

And that, my dearest readers, is the One Liner of the Week.

4 comments:

  1. And did you give your jalapeño so that in the future she would know the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's almost as bad as my Grindr experience I had earlier today. Some white guy was like, "What is your ethnicity?" I replied, "Mexican." Then he proceeded to say, "You know what would be hot? A colonizer/colonized (master/slave) relationship!".... WTF!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whole Foods actually has a dish called "Pollo José" for the "Taste of Mexico" hot bar set. That goes along well with others like "Mexican Tofu". I guess if it has chili powder that makes its Mexican? I have to say my Mexican co-workers think it's ridiculous but very funny. Stupid Gringoes. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...are you kidding me, Vincent? That is whacked.
    And Whole Foods....is a hot mess.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, and insights. And thank you for reading!